Personal Stories‎ > ‎


July 16, 2002

It took us some time getting there, since we really didn't know exactly how to get there. The directions were sketchy, so we made do. We stopped in search of green lollies (we intended on taking a photo of at least one of the graves with a lolly for the big contest) and flashlights as the sun was saying its final adieu for the night. Finally, after what seemed hours of driving around in circles, through side streets, around and around, we found the entrance to the cemetery. Parking was another issue. Cops were spotted in the parking lot of the forest preserve across the street and we didn't want to get busted, so we parked in an apartment complex lot on the other side of the preserve the cemetery is located in.

We walked for about 25 minutes to reach the path to the cemetery. It just was so much darker than I'd ever anticipated. The tiny flashlights we all carried were hardly a comfort.

We trekked the path to the gates to find a trash bag hanging from the broken fence. Of course, we thought a body was inside, so we made spooky look. Nope. It was nothing more than Busch (beer). Tentatively, we stepped through the gates.

I'm not sure what everyone else anticipated, but I personally was overwhelmed. The place was so unkempt and wild. Grass in some areas was almost as tall as me. The stones we encountered were somewhat sombering.

Soon after our arrival, we heard some noise, Ham insisting he heard voices. My scared level rose. You couldn't see much through the thick tall grasses. We continued on through the small place, stopping to inspect and pay respects to the assorted grave markers.

Suddenly, we spotted a blue light flashing through the trees. Our first thoughts were cops had followed us in, but none of understood why the light was blue. I then remembered that one of the phenomena of the site was glowing orbs of light, some of them blue. I suggested quietly it was these.

By now, we were all on edge. We made our way to a large stone, the Fulton stone. At the front of the stone was a smaller marker with the words "Infant Daughter" carved into it. Someone had recently laid flowers and a small toy bear on the lip of the marker.

There was a sound we'd been hearing since entry, a sound almost like a duck. As we rounded the path past the Fulton stone, it grew louder. Frogs, we all figured, and the infamous pond must be just beyond another broken gate. My nerves had become almost shot, due to more blue lights and the very loud sound of the frogs. I didn't want to see the pond. The pond itself is supposedly to be haunted as it was reportedly a dumping ground for the mobsters' murder victims.

Of course, I didn't want to see this pond, but I didn't want the boys to leave me outside the gate. The water was entirely covered with a green scum. trip threw a stone in, disrupting the surface of the scum. We were shocked at how quickly the scum filled in the hole. In seconds it was back as it was before we'd disturbed it.

We were pretty much all scared at this point, and decided it was time to leave. As we made our way back to the entrance, it became clear that we were dealing with other living humans in the cemetery, which didn't ease my fear. The humans fumbled up when they tried to make scary noises. We knew more or less what we were dealing with.

As we made our way out of the cemetery and back down the path, two boys revealed themselves behind us. spooky gave them a "B" for their efforts, and they joined their girlfriends waiting outside the entrance to the path.

Slowly, we made our way back to our distant parking spot, laughing.

Does this mean the place isn't haunted? No. Does it mean it is? No. It just means that tonight, our ghosts were a couple of kids. It also means that I forgot all about the green lollies in Ham's pants and that we were not to face evil death in the cemetery this night.

Regardless, it was a splendidly unnerving place to be at night. I'd long wanted to do something like this, but was unable to find anyone to join me. While excited, I was also terrified, so for me, this was a big step. I'm glad I had Sissies to share it with.

Thanks for the fun night!!!

- Beef